Greetings Firespeaking Team and other forum members. I am posting this as a request to the Firespeaking team to add certain things to their plans for the Cabin Stove cooktop. The plans need:
- Notation on drawings to specify what type of weld it is, and where it is located (especially on interior of 6" schedule 40 pipe).
- To specify how wide the radiating lines should be cut. Are they 1/32" wide? 1/16"?
- To specify to align circle quadrants with vertical and horizontal radiating lines.
- To specify to give circle quadrants gap between them equal to the radiating line width, to allow for expansion/contraction of quadrant ring.
- To have small paragraph describing intent of certain design elements. For example, explaining the expansion/contraction concept; explaining the continuous interior weld on pipe to allow for condensate drainage; etc.
@Miles, Thanks so much for this concise list of improvements. We will incorporate them into the next version of the plans. Thank you for being a contributor. I will try to link this thread to the cooktop plans soon so others know what they are referring to.
I am in the process of building a Shop Cabin Stove and have some questions.
- It seems from the photos that there are some non-standard sized firebrick used for spanning larger horizontal spaces. I’m guessing that they’re 12" x 16". What are these? Where can I get them? Can I use something else in their place, like a kiln shelf? (Note: kiln shelves cannot take direct flame well, as they will most likely crack.)
- Does anyone have a diagram of the flame/smoke path through this thing? My mason and I are having a difficult time figuring it out from the photos.
Thanks for your good work!
Some questions about the K301 Oven Enclosure.
- The Firespeaking photo shows the enclosure with a back, but the drawings show it open. Which is the correct way?
- The Firespeaking photo shows the shelving riveted (?) to the walls of the enclosure, but the drawings do not call out a recommended method of attachment. How should they be attached to the wall?
- What type of weld should be used to attach the top and bottom plates to the wall plates?
- There are four holes in the walls. Where exactly are they located and what size are they? I assume that they are for putting bolts through to secure the enclosure to the brick. Is there a recommended attachment method/hardware?